Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Coming close to an end

This trip has gone by so fast. I still remember all of the feelings that I had 10 weeks ago. I remember getting off the bus from the airport with my huge suitcase and being appalled that the Italians wouldn't courteously step out of the way in my attempt to not be hit by a bus. I also remember being scared to death taking the taxi the next day to my apartment because they drive like a third world country here. Now it doesn't bother me when they don't move and I just step in front of speeding cars when I know that I won't get hit. It feels like so long ago that I was overwhelmed with taking all of that new information in.

I feel like I can say that I now understand the word "assimilation," because I have been the foreigner adjusting to them. I have lost some of my naive sense of closed mindedness and accepted these people as my neighbors. This country has changed me. We joke that we have to walk down the street with a tough face so that we don't stick out, because the Florentines just walk around like they own the place. It is so easy to point out Americans because they are so courteous and get out of the way on the sidewalk and are the ones almost willing to step in front of a bus to get out of the way. I don't do that anymore. I might when I get home but for now I walk around and they think that I am one of them. I have adjusted.

I have found myself getting kind of sad lately thinking that there are only 2 weeks left. This place is going to be my home away from home forever. I hugged the lecturer yesterday after our last Italian culture class and teared up a little. She told me that I could always come back and that Florence never changes. That made me feel better because I know that I will dream about this place even when I am in my 60s.

I have traveled so much since I have been here. I have seen most regions of Italy, Ireland, Scotland, London, Spain, and soon Paris. I feel like a semi-world traveler now. I absolutely believe that I am going to do this again one day. I have got a taste of travel and now it feels like it will be an addiction.

I have met so many kind people on this adventure. My roommate and I have gotten so close and can laugh at and with each other and have silly pillow talk and gossip and just be girls. I love! Our other friends I know will be people that I won't ever forget and I will probably still hang out with when I get back to California.

I guess the reason that I am writing this is because I am not ready to leave. I am going to make the best of the rest of the time that I have here. I couldn't be more blessed to have had this opportunity, and I know it's not over yet so I am going to live it up.

I remember reading someone's blog before I came here about this girl that came to Florence in the fall and she talked about how she moved here and was timid and confused in the beginning and by the time it was close to departing she was able to go to her corner cafe and casually order an expresso. She was so proud that she had become so accustomed to the life and was able to give tourist directions around town. That idea was kind of surreal but exciting to think that could be me. Now it is! I have done those things, and I can boldly talk to Italians even though I speak a combination of English, Italian and Spanish to them, I just wing it with a straight face and get answers and not a questioning look. I am so proud of my time here.

This city has given me so much confidence, knowledge, challenges, and moments of awe that I never want to leave.

This is my city. I am leaving a piece of my heart here so I always have an excuse to come back here. That little piece of me will be who I am coming back to visit in the future.






No comments:

Post a Comment