Sunday, February 2, 2014

A late introduction

I realized yesterday after speaking to a fellow blogger that I didn't introduce myself to you. Well, my name is Hailie Guerrero, I am currently 20 years old and a student. It has always been my dream to go into psychology and to go internationally helping teenagers learn to love themselves and their lives.
When I was 16 I got my first taste of going abroad and it changed my life. I went to Nicaragua for 3 weeks with 13 other students from the San Francisco bay area and we learned about the culture as well as taught the local students English for 2 weeks. I cannot describe how exhilarating it was to be out there. Those students (aging from 15-40 or so) were so grateful to be learning from us and it felt so good to see how eager they were to expand their minds. From then on I knew that my life needed to be full of travel so that I could learn about other cultures and expand my mind as well.
So, when I found out about the study abroad to Florence I jumped on it. I only had about $1000 of my own money saved up and the bill was going to be almost $10,000. I placed my deposit of $450, said a prayer to God, and worked my butt off to raise the money. I had many supporters and donors helping me, and I raised just about $8,000 in a matter of about 45 days. Praise God! AIFS also gave me $2000 in scholarships to finish off the top of my bill to go. And here I am! In Florence, Italy!
So, part of the requirements for the scholarship is to blog about what's going on and how the trip is going. You have probably already read a little bit, but I plan on using this almost as a journal. I have never blogged, but I am excited to share my experience with you and to encourage other young people like me to follow their dreams and work hard. We can do this! We young people can achieve the craziest things, and the older people recognize when we are working hard and will help us along the way.

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited to have found your blog!!! I hope you are having a blast in Italy, & when you get back I hope to hear all about it. In the meantime, I will follow along here.

    I will pray God blesses you & reveals more of Himself to you while you are there. And, that you begin to see your dreams unfold, dear one.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you thank you! I think I am going to try to go to Ireland during spring break so you are going to have to tell me how to get around :)

      Delete