Friday, February 21, 2014

Detours

I believe that I mentioned before that this man I spoke to one day said that the buildings that are here become regular buildings to him. Things he sees every day.. nothing unusual. Ordinary. I still can't quite say that anything in Florence is "ordinary" to me, but I can say that I am getting more comfortable and almost taking for granted what I am seeing sometimes. It has only been a month, but I feel like I am pretty close to being a local now when it comes to navigating the streets.
I pass the Uffizi museum and statue of Neptune in the Piazza dei Signoria every day on my way to school, and each day it looks different with the changing backdrop that the sky gives it. It's something new everyday. On the same note though, I find myself on a mission now, quickly walking through the street to get to class, ignoring some of the "common" things that I see. I changed my route to school from my original when I got here. This one isn't as "pretty" but it is quick and it keeps me away from tourist, which over here is important when you are trying to get somewhere in a hurry.
This is why I say that I feel like a local. I spoke to another person and they said that they don't go on the main roads because they are littered with tourists who are in their way. I avoid every place that could be too touristy.. unless of course I feel like being a tourist that day.
 I am not sure how they feel about road work, but I am definitely bothered by it. On my way home the other night I found that one of the roads I use to get too and from school daily was blocked off for some sort of construction. Sad face! I know that a lot of the Italians are set in their ways, especially having learned that many of them hardly ever leave the city/region that they were born in, so they must walk down the same roads a lot. What if my route was someone else's route?
I guess I should look at this as a way keep myself from getting so comfortable that I miss out on what is in front of me. So, now it's time to find my new route to school.



No comments:

Post a Comment