Friday, February 7, 2014

Take me away Fiesole

I cannot believe what my eyes have seen. Today was nothing less than perfect. I am on a cloud, just letting the rest of my day breeze by.
My class went to the Roman amphitheater today in Fiesole, which I was not very stoked about. I thought that it would be this lame place filled with old rocks that were just.. rocks. I could not have been more wrong about it. We started the day by meeting at the Duomo at 9 AM before we walked to the bus stop for Fiesole. Let me just say that the bus ticket was only 1.5 euro both way. I would spend at least 30 euro if it meant seeing this again. This place is so unreal. On the way there the bus takes you up into the hills/mountains and you can begin to see Florence from above. That is not even close to the best part. So, when you get into town (in the winter) it is a bit of a dead season and it is a cute little village that doesn't feel like much, but when you go to the amphitheater the experience changes. The entrance alone gives you a peak at the views that are to come. 
I know that I am getting a head of myself in writing this, but I am just so amazed at how gorgeous this place was. After you walk in, this is what you see:
Again, pictures are NOT enough.
I cannot believe that this used to be a functioning theater. People from centuries ago used to come here for entertainment, and I walked on it today just like them, being entertained not by a show but by the delight that came from knowing that there used to be a show here. I got chills being there. I think that I will get chills everywhere in Europe.. but this place so far has been the best experience. 
After you walk through the amphitheater you can go 2 ways, to the left will get you here:

But that is just a portion. I don't want to give it all away because I want you to see it for yourself. There are ancient ruins of an temple that once stood here. What is so great about this place is that it is tangible. You can actually walk through it, (you have to be careful) and touch it. The plants grow into the walls which gives this place so much more life. 
It may look like just a pile of rocks to you like it did to me in pictures, but if you stop and look at it in person it is 1000 times different. 
I realized that I had been rushing to see everything, and while I was in this particular area of the ruins I made all of my friends lay down on the stones at spots of their choice and just breath the air, hear the birds, and smell the air. Everything was crisp, clean, and natural. After getting up I felt a complete peace. I was able to appreciate what I was looking at and I recommend that anyone coming to any place like this takes a moment to sit and silence and take it all in.. even for just a moment.
After taking tons of photos we walked to the next area (to the right of the amphitheater). There we saw this old roman pool that was probably used for bathing. Now the bottom is filled with green grass and various other shrubbery, but that does not take away from the imagination. I felt myself go back centuries and become a Roman looking at this pool as a part of my daily life. 

After exploring here some more we walked to the the old monastery which has the best views overlooking Florence. THE BEST VIEWS! I swear, nothing has been more real and perfect than that. The clouds were overhead and rays of sunshine beamed through the clouds illuminating various areas around the city. It was more than breath taking. I was in aw. I could have stayed up there for hours looking at every piece of the city and the pastures and green around it. I will say that it is a little bit of a hike to get up there, but it is well worth it. Please, do not pass up Fiesole.. if not for the amphitheater.. go for the views. This is something that I will hold with me for a lifetime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment