Thursday, February 6, 2014

Simple Beauty

As I was walking home from class today I realized that I had created this shell around myself to not let people in. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, considering people try to sell you miscellaneous items like no other here, but it was making me miss the moment. I unfocused my tunnel vision, walked slower, and let the scenery fill my senses. I couldn't help but notice how romantic this city is. The buildings entice you with their ancient qualities just begging you to ask about their history so they can tell you their story. The people dress as if there is no snooze button and no one is ever rushed. 
I noticed in MY rush to school today an old man with a bouquet of flowers in one hand and a wrapped up piece of meat in the other walking down the road. Although I was hurrying, it was so beautiful to see this old man still stopping to buy flowers. I don't know if they flowers were for his wife, mistress, an ill comrade, or just to decorate his home. That didn't seem important though. It was such a pure image that even though I woke up late.. this old man made me smile because of how pure his image was at that moment. 
A few hours later, after class, I decided to come home for a quick meal before going out again. I again saw a man with flowers, this time he was young, maybe 17 years old. While he walked I could tell that he was examining his flowers making sure that they were only the best. Again, I don't know who these flowers were for, but I am amazed by commonality of seeing people walking in the streets and piazzas with these simple but delicate flowers in their hands.
In the states we don't see this. If people buy flowers for someone or for their home they are wrapped and quickly stowed away into their vehicles not to be seen again in the daylight except for the trip from the driveway to the door. I know that this may seem like such a tiny sight that should not be given this much thought, but it should. Adding all of these little sites, smells, and customs together creates this romantic place that makes me fall in love with it just a little more each day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment