Monday, February 3, 2014

Learn to cook before you come

We aren't starving. I will say that much. I feel like I have a good handle on how to cook, but I could be better. Well anyway, my roommate eats Thai food at home so we attempted to make it here. It tastes wonderful! But, it took a few errors to get it to where it is. We found this tiny Asian/Mexican food market (what a combo, right?) and bought a HUGE sac of rice just in case we had a lazy day where eggs and rice would be our delectable meal. We also got a jar of Thai curry paste.

We began cooking and I went to our neighbor's door to borrow a can opener for the coconut milk and when I got back she had poured the whole jar into the pan. It looked a little questionable to me so I asked if that was right and she said yes, so me not being the Thai food master let her do it. Later she realized that it was only 50mg that she was supposed to use. She used 400mg. Needless to say, we had to scrap that batch.

I ran back to the store, literally (you don't run in Florence) and quickly got the ingredients again. This time it worked out great... but the potatoes took forever to cook and my poor roommate burned herself a little when she opened the rice. 

This is going to be an interesting experience, she is kind of sad that it took like 3 hours, but this was totally a learning curve. It was definitely good that she knew how it was supposed to taste.. otherwise this would have been a total disaster! 
We did get a great laugh out of it though tehe. I think next time we will start dinner much earlier.

2 comments:

  1. Judging by the photo, your Thai food turned out to be pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It brought silence to the table it was so good!

      Delete